Creative writing, Research, Journalism
Member of the EWC since 2013.
Shirani wrote her first poem when she was 17. It was in French, a language she started learning while at school and at the Alliance Française, but has since forgotten. Other poems and short stories followed several years later, this time in English and influenced by her experiences of the JVP insurrection of the late 1990s and living and travelling in India. Her debut collection of short stories Breaking News was shortlisted for the Gratiaen Award in MS in 2010 and published the following year. She began publishing individual poems, short stories and flash stories in literary magazines, journals and anthologies and has as to date published over 80 works in 15 countries. In 2013 she won the Cha “Betrayal” Poetry Contest and was a Finalist in the Anna Davidson Poetry Awards.
Shirani read for a degree in English Literature from the University of Kelaniya and has a Masters in International Relations from the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. She has worked at the Sunday Times, Lanka Woman, Explore Sri Lanka and Daily Mirror, conducted research for IRED:International and CENWOR and worked for the World Bank and Commonwealth Secretariat. She is presently a full time writer.
Breaking News (Vijitha Yapa, Colombo 2011)
- About Place Journal (Hope – Vol II Issue III Nov 2013; Tall Majesty – Issue II, May 2013; Zuccotti Park Rises – January 2012,USA)
- Asian Cha (Questions Left Unanswered –winner of the “Betrayal” Poetry Contest, March 2013, Hong Kong)
- Asian Signature (Taken for Granted, The Road to Over There, Unwanted Visitors – 2, Issue 2, July 15, 2015, India)
- Berfrois (At the Café – April 30, 2013, UK)
- Buddhist Poetry Review (Samsara, Alone – Issue 8 Spring 2013; Where do we go from here? – Issue 10 Fall 2013, USA)
- Café Dissensus (Sisters – forthcoming 2016)
- Channels (The Capitol – 2013, Sri Lanka)
- Citiesplus (The Old Road – Issue 5, October 2015; Colombo – Issue 4, September 2014, Global)
- Cyclamens & Swords (Reader on the Shelf, Evening – December 2013, Israel)
- Deep Water Literary Journal (Night Visitor – Issue II August 2014, Ireland)
- Dove Tales (Dilemma, A Forced Silence – June 2016; Lost in Thought, The End of Summer – February 2013, USA)
- Earthen Lamp Journal (Letting Go – September 2015; The Return – May 2013; Dream of the Housemaid – November 2014, India)
- Kitaab (Reminiscences – March 29, 2014, Singapore)
- Lakeview International Journal of Literature and Arts (LIJLA) (Earth Song – Vol 4 No1 February 2016, Driving Down Galle Road – Vol 2 No 1 February 2014, India)
- Linnet’s Wings (On the Way to Over There –Fall 2013, Ireland)
- Litro (This is Home – May 2016)
- Mascara Literary Review (Late Afternoon, Games People Play – Issue 15, May 2014, Australia)
- Moving Worlds (Conversations in the Dark – Leeds, November, 2014, UK)
- New Verse News, (Saudi Arabia – December 16, 2015, September – September 11, 2013, Occupy Wall Street – November 8, 2011, Indonesia)
- Poetica Magazine (The Shower –finalist Anna Davidson Rosenberg Awards 2013, Published in 2014, USA)
- Poet’s Basement – Counterpunch (Misunderstanding – May 10, 2013, USA)
- Silver Birch Press (Out of Control – March 18, 2016; A License to Dream – April 26, 2016; A Wish List – July 20, 2015; Growing Up in the City – April 29, 2015, USA)
- Skylight 47 (Unwanted – Issue 1,Winter 2013, Ireland)
- Spark (Wednesday Afternoon – May 5, 2013; Colombo – June 5, 2013; Celebrating Another Birthday – January 5, 2014; Woman of the House – March 5, 2014, India)
- The Occupy Poetry Project (Hands in Protest, America is at War, Two Cities Two Protests –Virgogray Press Jan. 2, 2012, USA)
- The Smoking Poet (Padmini’s Plight – Issue 20, Fall/winter 2011-2012, USA)
- Ballads (Alone One Evening – Dagda, 2014, UK)
- Every Child Is Entitled to Innocence (Child Soldier – Plum Tree, Feb. 14, 2012, UK)
- Flash Fiction International (Shattered – Norton, 2015, USA)
- Occupy Wall Street Poetry Anthology, (Silently Waiting – 20, 2011, USA)
- Poems for Freedom (I Will Rise – River Books, 2013, UK)
- Short & Sweet (In the Closet – Perera Hussein, 2014, Sri Lanka)
- Song of Sahel (Hope, A Gift to You, Sahel Sahel – Plum Tree, Sep. 15, 2012, UK)
- Voices Israel Poetry Anthology (The Violinist – 27, 2012, Israel)
- World Healing World Peace (Untitled – Volume 1, Mar. 23, 2012; Peace – Volume 1, 2014, Inner City Press, USA)
Featured on radio
Verses in Motion (I Live in Dreams – October 15, 2011, USA)
Poetry posted on blogs and other platforms
- The Write-In (Thing That Happen in the Night, for National Flash Fiction Day, June 27, 2015, UK)
- Theatre Cloud (Letter to a Soldier from Another Time – August 29, 2014, UK)
- Invited to participate in Poetry Week on the Wordshark blog on Feb. 20, 2013, USA. (Saturday Afternoon, Inside the Old Room, Late Evening.)
- Winning Writers (Words – January 25, 2012, USA)
- Free Mali PETA Asia on Facebook and Animal Liberation Front.com (Mali – October 2012, 2014, USA)
- com (The Poetess – December 9, 2011, USA)
- Feminist Flash Fiction. (written for but posted on my blog Nov. 25, 2011)
Published poems have also been featured in VerseWrights and Learning & Creativity.
- Winner – Cha “Betrayal” Poetry Contest 2013 for Questions Left Unanswered.
- Finalist – Anna Davidson Rosenberg Poetry Awards 2013 for The Shower.
- Shortlisted – Gratiaen Award 2010 for Breaking News.